A plate inscribed on both sides. It probably has no raised rims. The hole for the connecting ring is on the left-hand side, vertically at the centre, and horizontally 4 cm from the edge.
16cm width x 8.7-9cm height. Weight 1130 grams.
Notes and provenance
The set of four copper plates was discovered by Shri Ramchandra Narayan Wakadiker whilst digging in the ramparts of Paunī. (Kolte, V. B., ‘Pauni plates of Pravarasena II’, Epigraphia Indica, vol XXXVIII, part II, April 1969, pp. 53-57). The charter was issued from Pravarapura and records the donation of land measuring 50 nivarttanas by royal measure to Duggāryya, a student of the Ṛigveda and part of the Aupamanyava gotra. According to the inscription the land is located in the ‘holy place of Achalapuka’ and was given in exchange for another plot of land. The grant was issued in the 32nd year of Pravarasena II’s reign and provides the last date for the rule of Pravarasena II - showing that he ruled at least 32 years. (Kolte, 1969, p. 54).
Event Place Uncertain