A plate inscribed on both sides. Its surface is flat, without raised rims. The hole (0.6 cm in diameter) for the connecting ring is on the left-hand side, vertically at the centre, and horizontally 3 centimetres from the edte. All dimensions are uncertain, since #Deshpande_Mahajan_1939 only had access to photographs.
Notes and provenance
This stone inscription, in cave 16 at Ajaṇṭā, was first published in 1862 by Dr. Bhau Daji (Mirashi, p. 103). As with the other stone inscription in cave 17 at Ajaṇṭā, this inscription has been damaged by exposure to weather. The inscription was written for Varāhadeva, a minister of the Vākāṭaka king, Hariṣeṇa. The inscription records the excavation and decoration of cave dwelling, which both Mirashi (p. 104) and Shastri, (p.42) believe refers to the creation of cave 16 itself, where the inscription is found at Ajaṇṭā. The donation was made to an order of Buddhist monks. (Shastri, p. 41-44)
Event Place Uncertain