The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Belora Plate A2 of Pravarasena II

A single plate belonging to a set of probably three, probably including two of %OB00145, %OB00147 and %OB00148. A hole 1.3 cm in diameter, about 5 cm from the centre of the left-hand edge, served for a ring to bind the plate together with its siblings. The ring and the presumably attached seal are lost. The plate seems to be a palimpsest, with an earlier inscription in the same script beaten flat before incising the present inscription.

Object URI
OB00146
Extent
18.7-19cm width x 8.6-8.9cm height. Weight 3531 grams.
Notes and provenance
The inscription, incised on seven plates and with an attached seal, records the donation of the village of Charmāṅka by Pravarasena II at the request of Koṇḍarāja. The donation was given to 1,000 Brāhmānas of various sects and schools, and the charter lists 49 of these donees by name. The charter was issued in the 18th year of Pravarasena II reign. (Shastri, p. 16-18).
History details
The charter, dating to the 11th year of Pravarasena II reign, records the donation of the village Mahallalāṭa to Sūryasvāmin. Brought to Mirashi's attention in 1938, when they were in the possession of a resident of Belorā. (Probably 21.2394124, 78.0760896; there are several other Beloras in the vicinity, but this is the one that best meets Mirashi's statement that the place is in Ārvī tahsil, about 6 miles south by east of Morsi, on the left bank of the Wardha river.) Mirashi apparently studied the plates in the original, after which they may have been returned to the owner. It is not known whether they had been handed down in the owner's family or found recently.
Event Type
Stored
Place
unknown
Event Place Uncertain