The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Belora Plate A1 of Pravarasena II

A single plate belonging to a set of probably three, probably including two of %OB00146, %OB00147 and %OB00148. A hole 1.3 cm in diameter, about 5 cm from the centre of the left-hand edge, served for a ring to bind the plate together with its siblings. The ring and the presumably attached seal are lost. The plate seems to be a palimpsest, with an earlier inscription in the same script beaten flat before incising the present inscription.z

Object URI
OB00145
Extent
24.4cm width x 12.2cm height. Weight 746 grams.
Notes and provenance
The charter, dating to the 11th year of Pravarasena II reign, records the donation of the village Mahallalāṭa to Sūryasvāmin.
History details
Brought to Mirashi's attention in 1938, when they were in the possession of a resident of Belorā. (Probably 21.2394124, 78.0760896; there are several other Beloras in the vicinity, but this is the one that best meets Mirashi's statement that the place is in Ārvī tahsil, about 6 miles south by east of Morsi, on the left bank of the Wardha river.) Mirashi apparently studied the plates in the original, after which they may have been returned to the owner. It is not known whether they had been handed down in the owner's family or found recently.
Event Type
Stored
Place
unknown
Event Place Uncertain