The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Badva Yupa of Somadeva

The pillars were originally erected as two pairs; members of each pair are about 7.5 metres from one another, while the distance between the pairs is about 23 metres. It is not clear whether Altekar discovered the foundation of the lost fourth pillar, or if he merely thinks there were originally two pairs. Altekar does not specify which pillar bears which inscription. Two of the three largely intact pillars are octagonal in cross-section for the above-ground part and square for the underground base; the third is octagonal throughout. Two are 404 cm high in total, while a third is 478 cm high; the underground base is about 120 cm of the total length for each. Their surface is roughly finished. Each pillar has a square caṣāla (a protruding collar) about 20 cm below the top. Above the caṣāla the top of each bends "inwards to their proper right" (#Altekar_1935-36:43) where inwards probably means toward the paired column. 

Object URI
OB00123
History details
Discovered by Altekar in 1936 in Baḍvā, a village about 8 km to the southwest of Antah (25.154927, 76.296911; Baḍvā not located) in the Kotah District of modern Rajasthan. The pillars were about 800 metres east of the village at a place known as thamb-toraṇ, probably for the archlike arrangement of the yūpas. Two pillars were lying flat on the ground, a third was inclined at an angle of 80°, and the remnants of a fourth (%OB00125) were also found. #Altekar_1935-36:42n1 says that in or around 1936 the Kotah government was planning to move the pillars to Kotah.
Event Type
Stored
Place
Kotah
Event Place Uncertain