The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Mandasor Primary Pillar of Yasodharman

A monolithic column. The bottom section is 1 metre square and 135 cm high. Fleet thinks this was its original base, buried in earth, since it has no sockets to indicate that it was attached to any other masonry elements. (However, if the top of the base had been level with the ground, then the inscription would have ended only 66 cm above ground level, so the base must have been raised to some extent. Garde_1923:185 reports excavating "the original foundations of the pillars" but does not elaborate.) The next section is 16 sided. About 5.2 metres of this section are still attached to the base. Each of the 16 faces is about 22 cm wide at the base. A second fragment of the column (separated by a natural break probably resulting from the fall of the column), without inscription, continues the sixteen-sided section for a further 5.4 metres. The pillar tapers slightly, and the faces are only 18 cm wide at the top. The top of this segment is flat, with a round projection 28 cm in diameter. A third piece (found about 36 metres to the north) is a fluted bell about 76 cm high and 96 cm in diameter; the bottom has a round socket to receive the top of the shaft, while the top has another projection. A fourth piece (found between the third and the previous pieces) is the square lion capital, about 81 cm tall and 117 cm square. Fleet did not excavate the bottom of this but expects it to have a socket to receive the projection at the top of the bell. The top of this capital has yet another circular socket, 29 cm in diameter and 10 cm deep, surrounded by 8 smaller, rectangular sockets. These must have held some sculpture, but Fleet has not found any statuary with corresponding projections at the bottom. (What he did find is described in #Fleet_1886e:253-254 and #Fleet_1888:143. #Garde_1923:185 reports finding a double-faced human head near this pillar and assumes that both pillars had been topped by double human figures facing two opposite directions.) The total height of the column from the top of the base to the top of the lion capital is 12.2 metres. Another similar column, %O-0087, was found about 20 metres to the north. Because of the distance, Fleet is certain that the pillars cannot have belonged to a toraṇa and there is no trace of a large building to which they might have belonged, so they must have been paired raṇastambhas, victory columns. (However, #Garde_1923:185 did excavate the foundation of a brick temple (and some statuary), apparently of Śiva, 23 metres to the west of the pillars. The ground level of the temple is the same as that of the pillar foundations, so these would have formed a contemporaneous complex.) Fleet also found another large sandstone column about 45 metres west of the inscribed pair. This latter column is broken and its surface is carved into diamond shaped knobs. Fleet could not locate any other fragment of it and it seems to be unrelated to the inscribed columns.

Object URI
OB00086
Extent
~100 cm width x ~1350 cm height x ~100 cm depth
History details
Discovered in 1884 in a search initiated by Fleet, lying in a field to the south of the hamlet of Sondaṇī, about 4 km southeast of Mandasor. Upon discovery the pillar lay partly buried, with its head to the north.
Event Type
Created
Place
Daśapura
Event Place Uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Place
Sondaṇī
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1884
Event Type
Stored
Place
in situ
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain