The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Khoh Plates 2 of Hastin, year 163

Three plates, each inscribed on one face only. Dimensions above are for either of the first two plates; the third plate ("evidently added as an afterthought, when it was found that the inscription could not be completed", Fleet_1888:101) is smaller, about 13 cm wide and 5 cm high. The plates are thin and deeply engraved, hence their backs were not suitable for writing on, as all details show through clearly. Perforated about the middle of the upper side and originally connected by a ring through the hole. The ring bore a seal (dimensions not reported) with a legend (see inscription text) but no device reported. Both the ring and the seal have been lost when the plates were transferred from Banaras to Lucknow. The three plates together (without ring and seal) weigh about 500 grams.

Object URI
OB00071
Extent
19 cm width x 14 cm height
History details
Probably discovered shortly before 1848, perhaps by Colonel Sykes, in a valley near the village of Khoh (Google Map 24.365845, 80.719145), near the town of Uchaharā (Unchehara in Google Maps), presently Madhya Pradesh. However, #Fleet_1888:100, apparently relying on #Cunningham_1897:7, says the plates were discovered about 1852 by a Colonel Ellis. Apparently the plates later came to the hands of Major Kittoe, who presented them to F-E. Hall sometime before 1861, who gave them to the Benares College. At a later time (before 1888) they were transferred from Benares to the Allahabad Museum and then on to the Provincial Museum of Lucknow. The connecting ring and the attached seal were lost during transfer, but the plates themselves reached their destination.
Event Type
Created
Place
Khoh
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Place
Uchaharā
Event Place Uncertain
Date
before 1848
Event Type
Stored
Place
Provincial Museum, Lucknow
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain
Date
1888