The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Bihar Sharif Pillar

No detailed description of the column is available; the information here has been gleaned from Plate XVII in #Cunningham_1871a. The bottom of the pillar is broken off. The extant lower portion is octagonal and 175 cm long; above this there is an apparently circular shaft 221 cm long, followed by a square section (unless this bit is circular too)for a further 38 cm.

Object URI
OB00043
Extent
434 cm height x ~60 cm diameter
History details
Discovered by E. L. Ravenshaw in 1839, at which time it was installed upside down on high ground a little to the west of the northern gate of the fort of Bihar (present Bihar Sharif). He was told that it had been moved here from in front of the same gate. Cunningham (in the early 1860's?) found it fallen where Ravenshaw had seen it erect. It was subsequently moved in front of the Bihar Court House apparently by A. M. Broadley, who is also responsible for a number of crude English inscriptions on the faces of the pillar not inscribed in antiquity (reported in #Cunningham_1880b:192-193). It remains there, serving to support the roof of a house, and is again installed upside down, with the bottom (current top) 8 lines completely hidden by woodwork. These are presently only available in Mitra's and Cunningham's eye copies.
Event Type
Created
Place
Bihar Sharif
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Place
Bihar fort
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1839
Event Type
Stored
Place
Bihar Sharif
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain
Event Place Qualifier
installed as a structural element in a private building in Bihar Sharif?