The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Badva Yupa Inscription of Balavardhana

Object Reference
Inscription URI
IN00135
Object URI
OB00122

Basic Metadata

Extent
~240 cm width x ~15 cm height
Decoration
None.
Language
Hybrid Sanskrit
Script
northern class of the 3rd century, identical to the characters of %IN00136
Script size
~4.5
Date (min)
238
Date (max)
239
Date comments
Intrinsic Date: 295 phālguna śukla 5 (era: Kṛta). Basis of dating: intrinsic.
Toggle Width
Toggle Edition Styling
Diplomatic Edition
Edition
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" xml:lang="eng-Latn" xml:space="preserve">
<teiHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>Badva Yupa Inscription of Balavardhana</title>
<editor>Dániel Balogh</editor>
</titleStmt>
<publicationStmt>
<authority>Siddham - The South Asia Inscriptions Database</authority>
<idno type="siddham_inscription_identifier">IN00135</idno>
</publicationStmt>
<sourceDesc>
<msDesc>
<msIdentifier>
<msName>Badva Yupa of Balavardhana</msName>
<idno type="siddham_object_identifier">OB00122</idno>
<repository>Kotah?</repository>
</msIdentifier>
<physDesc>
<objectDesc>
<supportDesc>
<support>
<material>stone / unspecified</material>
<objectType>pillar / sacrificial</objectType>
<extent>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width />
<height>404-478</height>
<depth />
</dimensions>
<measure type="weight" unit="gram">not available</measure>
</extent>
<p>The pillars were originally erected as two pairs; members of each pair are about 7.5 metres from one another, while the distance between the pairs is about 23 metres. It is not clear whether Altekar discovered the foundation of the lost fourth pillar, or if he merely thinks there were originally two pairs. Altekar does not specify which pillar bears which inscription. Two of the three largely intact pillars are octagonal in cross-section for the above-ground part and square for the underground base; the third is octagonal throughout. Two are 404 cm high in total, while a third is 478 cm high; the underground base is about 120 cm of the total length for each. Their surface is roughly finished. Each pillar has a square caṣāla (a protruding collar) about 20 cm below the top. Above the caṣāla the top of each bends "inwards to their proper right" (#Altekar_1935-36:43) where inwards probably means toward the paired column. </p>
</support>
</supportDesc>
<layoutDesc>
<layout>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>~240</width>
<height>~15</height>
</dimensions>
<p>Inscribed in a single long line, to be read from top to bottom along one facet of the pillar. Campus height estimated.</p>
</layout>
</layoutDesc>
</objectDesc>
<handDesc>
<height unit="cm">~4.5</height>
<p>northern class of the 3rd century, identical to the characters of %IN00136</p>
</handDesc>
<decoDesc>
<p>None.</p>
</decoDesc>
</physDesc>
<history>
<origin>
<origPlace />
<origDate />
</origin>
<p>Discovered by Altekar in 1936 in Baḍvā, a village about 8 km to the southwest of Antah (25.154927, 76.296911; Baḍvā not located) in the Kotah District of modern Rajasthan. The pillars were about 800 metres east of the village at a place known as thamb-toraṇ, probably for the archlike arrangement of the yūpas. Two pillars were lying flat on the ground, a third was inclined at an angle of 80°, and the remnants of a fourth (%OB00125) were also found. #Altekar_1935-36:42n1 says that in or around 1936 the Kotah government was planning to move the pillars to Kotah.</p>
</history>
</msDesc>
</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc></teiHeader>
<text>
<body>
<div type="edition" xml:lang="san-Latn"><p>
<lb n="1" />siddhaṃ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> kritehi <num value="295">200 90 5</num> phalguṇa-śuklasya pañce <expan><abbr>di</abbr><ex>vase</ex></expan> śri-mahā-senāpateḥ mokhareḥ bala-puttrasya balavarddhanasya yūpaḥ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> tri-rāttra-saṃmitasya dakṣiṇyaṃ gavāṃ sahashraṃ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> <g type="closer" />
</p>

</div></body>
</text>
</TEI>
Bibliographic Information (view/hide)
Bibliography description
First reported and edited in #Altekar_1935-36.
Inscription Concordance
Concordance Item
Concordance Item Number
1/II.5
Images (view/hide)
XML Plain
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="http://www.stoa.org/epidoc/schema/latest/tei-epidoc.rng" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" xml:lang="eng-Latn" xml:space="preserve">
<teiHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>Badva Yupa Inscription of Balavardhana</title>
<editor>Dániel Balogh</editor>
</titleStmt>
<publicationStmt>
<authority>Siddham - The South Asia Inscriptions Database</authority>
<idno type="siddham_inscription_identifier">IN00135</idno>
</publicationStmt>
<sourceDesc>
<msDesc>
<msIdentifier>
<msName>Badva Yupa of Balavardhana</msName>
<idno type="siddham_object_identifier">OB00122</idno>
<repository>Kotah?</repository>
</msIdentifier>
<physDesc>
<objectDesc>
<supportDesc>
<support>
<material>stone / unspecified</material>
<objectType>pillar / sacrificial</objectType>
<extent>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width />
<height>404-478</height>
<depth />
</dimensions>
<measure type="weight" unit="gram">not available</measure>
</extent>
<p>The pillars were originally erected as two pairs; members of each pair are about 7.5 metres from one another, while the distance between the pairs is about 23 metres. It is not clear whether Altekar discovered the foundation of the lost fourth pillar, or if he merely thinks there were originally two pairs. Altekar does not specify which pillar bears which inscription. Two of the three largely intact pillars are octagonal in cross-section for the above-ground part and square for the underground base; the third is octagonal throughout. Two are 404 cm high in total, while a third is 478 cm high; the underground base is about 120 cm of the total length for each. Their surface is roughly finished. Each pillar has a square caṣāla (a protruding collar) about 20 cm below the top. Above the caṣāla the top of each bends "inwards to their proper right" (#Altekar_1935-36:43) where inwards probably means toward the paired column. </p>
</support>
</supportDesc>
<layoutDesc>
<layout>
<dimensions unit="cm">
<width>~240</width>
<height>~15</height>
</dimensions>
<p>Inscribed in a single long line, to be read from top to bottom along one facet of the pillar. Campus height estimated.</p>
</layout>
</layoutDesc>
</objectDesc>
<handDesc>
<height unit="cm">~4.5</height>
<p>northern class of the 3rd century, identical to the characters of %IN00136</p>
</handDesc>
<decoDesc>
<p>None.</p>
</decoDesc>
</physDesc>
<history>
<origin>
<origPlace />
<origDate />
</origin>
<p>Discovered by Altekar in 1936 in Baḍvā, a village about 8 km to the southwest of Antah (25.154927, 76.296911; Baḍvā not located) in the Kotah District of modern Rajasthan. The pillars were about 800 metres east of the village at a place known as thamb-toraṇ, probably for the archlike arrangement of the yūpas. Two pillars were lying flat on the ground, a third was inclined at an angle of 80°, and the remnants of a fourth (%OB00125) were also found. #Altekar_1935-36:42n1 says that in or around 1936 the Kotah government was planning to move the pillars to Kotah.</p>
</history>
</msDesc>
</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc></teiHeader>
<text>
<body>
<div type="edition" xml:lang="san-Latn"><p>
<lb n="1" />siddhaṃ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> kritehi <num value="295">200 90 5</num> phalguṇa-śuklasya pañce <expan><abbr>di</abbr><ex>vase</ex></expan> śri-mahā-senāpateḥ mokhareḥ bala-puttrasya balavarddhanasya yūpaḥ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> tri-rāttra-saṃmitasya dakṣiṇyaṃ gavāṃ sahashraṃ<supplied reason="omitted">|</supplied> <g type="closer" />
</p>

</div></body>
</text>
</TEI>