The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Mahurjhari Plates of Prthivisena II, Year 17

A set of five plates, the first and last inscribed only on the inner side, the others on both faces. They probably have no raised rims. The hole for the connecting ring is on the left-hand side, vertically at the centre, and horizontally at an estimated 4 cm from the edge. The hole is circular, with a diameter about 1.6 cm. The plates are linked by a ring, to which a copper band is also attached, but the seal that was presumably once riveted to this band is no longer extant. The entire set weighs 1807 grams, of which the weight of individual plates is about 335 grams. The plates were probably subjected to fire, but this has not caused considerable damage.

Object URI
OB00178
Extent
18.3cm width x 10.3cm height. Weight 1807 grams.
Notes and provenance
This set of 5 copper plates dating to the reign of Pṛithivīṣeṇa II, were discovered in June 1971 in a field during ploughing. The field was owned by Shri Borkar who at that time, lived in the village. The village, according to V. B. Kolte (p. 183) is an ancient site with many archaeological remains dating to the Vākāṭaka period. There are also stone circles which date as far back as 3000 years suggesting continued habitation throughout this period. This is one of the only known copper plate charters of Pṛithivīṣeṇa II which is complete. The charter was issued in the kings 17th year of rule and records the grant of the village Jamalakheṭaka to the Brāhmaṇas Vishṇudatta and Bhavadatta, residents of Pṛithivīpura , where the charter was issued from. (Shastri, p. 103) This copper plate charter is now housed in the Central Museum, Nagpur.
History details
Discovered in 1971 while ploughing a field near Māhūrjharī (or Māhūrzarī, Nagpur tahsil of Nagpur district, 21.224571,79.008072). The plates were first acquired by S. B. Deo, head of the Department of Ancient Indian History at Nagpur University; later, they ended up with the Department of Archaeology and Archives, Maharashtra State. They were studied in the original by Kolte. Another set of plates may have been discovered at the same site: IAR_1972-3:40 (No. 14) reports a “Muhurzarai” copperplate of Pravarasena II as acquired by the Central Museum of Nagpur. #Shrimali_1987:3n1 suspects this is a confusion with the Mahurjhari plates of Pṛthivīṣeṇa II.
Event Type
Stored
Place
With the Department of Archaeology and Archives, Maharashtra State. (Or in the Central Museum, Nagpur)
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1972