The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Mandasor Secondary Pillar of Yasodharman

A monolithic column. The bottom section (base?) is 1 metre square and 120 cm high. Unlike %O-0086, there is a circular section above the base, about 30 cm high. The next section is 16 sided, with each of the 16 faces about 20 cm wide at the base. Only 33 cm of this section are still attached to the base, and the top has been cut off using chisels and wedges.  A second fragment of the column continues the sixteen-sided section for a further 275 centimetres. This piece is broken lengthwise and part of it is lost. Two faces of the extant part bear the inscription, the bottom of which would have been 85 cm above the top of the base. Another piece of the top of the shaft is 205 cm long; the 16 faces are each 18 cm wide at the top. The segment of the shaft between these two has not been found. The top of the shaft is flat, with a round projection 28 cm in diameter. The next piece is a fluted bell about 91 cm high and 99 cm in diameter; the bottom has a round socket to receive the top of the shaft, while the top has another projection, 27 cm in diameter. The final extant piece is the square lion capital, about 91 cm tall and 117 cm square. Each side of the capital has a bas-relief of two lions sitting back to back on their haunches, their heads merging with those of the lions on the adjacent faces. There is a monster face between each pair of lions. The bottom of the capital has a socket matching the projection on the top of the bell. The top of this capital probably has a circular socket and 8 rectangular sockets like %O-0086, but was not excavated fully by Fleet. These must have held some sculpture, but Fleet has not found any statuary with corresponding projections at the bottom. (What he did find is described in #Fleet_1886e:253-254 and #Fleet_1888:143.  #Garde_1923:185 reports finding a double-faced human head near the primary pillar and assumes that both pillars had been topped by double human figures facing two opposite directions.) The capital bears a one-line inscription (%I-0096), uncovered by Garde. Another similar column, %O-0086, was found about 20 metres to the south. Because of the distance, Fleet is certain that the pillars cannot have belonged to a toraṇa and there is no trace of a large building to which they might have belonged, so they must have been paired raṇastambhas, victory columns. (However, #Garde_1923:185 did excavate the foundation of a brick temple (and some statuary), apparently of Śiva, 23 metres to the west of the pillars. The ground level of the temple is the same as that of the pillar foundations, so these would have formed a contemporaneous complex.) Fleet also found another large sandstone column about 45 metres west of the inscribed pair. This latter column is broken and its surface is carved into diamond shaped knobs. Fleet could not locate any other fragment of it and it seems to be unrelated to the inscribed columns.

Object URI
OB00087
Extent
~100 cm width x ~1350 cm height x ~100 cm depth
History details
Discovered in 1884 in a search initiated by Fleet, lying in a field to the south of the hamlet of Sondaṇī, about 4 km southeast of Mandasor. Upon discovery the fragments of the pillar lay partly buried, toppled to the east and west.
Event Type
Created
Place
Daśapura
Event Place Uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Place
Sondaṇī
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1884
Event Type
Stored
Place
in situ
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain