The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Eran Pillar of Goparaja

The bottom part of the original pillar is lost; the extant top portion has been fashioned into a liṅga, fitted in an ablution trough that had to be broken to reveal most of the inscription. The bottom section of the extant column is octagonal, then sixteen-sided, then octagonal again with sculptures of men and women on each face. The compartment above the centre of the inscription features a seated man and woman who are presumably Goparāja and his wife. Above this, the pillar is sixteen-sided once again, then octagonal again. Further up, it is again sixteen-sided and fluted or ribbed, curving into a round top (which according to #Cunningham_1880a:89 was reshaped when the pillar was turned into a liṅga.) The part outside the liṅga base is 76 cm tall, but no separate lengths are available for the various sections.

Object URI
OB00045
Extent
120 cm height x 45 cm diameter
History details
Discovered in 1874-75 or 76-77 by Cunningham. It was found (and may still be) under some small trees near the left bank of the Bīnā, about 800 metres southeast of Eraṇ, halfway between Eraṇ and the village of Pehelejpur.
Event Type
Created
Place
Airikiṇa
Event Place Uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Place
Eraṇ
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1874-77
Event Type
Stored
Place
in situ
Event Place Uncertain
place uncertain