The South Asia Inscriptions Database

Bhitari Pillar of Skandagupta

The pillar is monolithic, consisting of a square base of 2 metres or more in height, a circular shaft (to which the diameter given above applies) 4.7 metres long, and a capital about 1 metre high. The capital is a lotus bell, with a deep narrow socket that presumably held a metal spike that in turn held a sculpture. The upper part of the base is smooth; the lower part is roughly chiselled.

Object URI
OB00032
Extent
770 cm height x 72 cm diameter
History details
The pillar, but not the inscription, was discovered in 1834 by Tregear in Bhitarī (Bhītarī?), Ghāzīpur District, UP. The inscription was found by Cunningham after clearing away the earth from the lower section of the shaft.
Event Type
Created
Place
Bhitarī
Event Place Uncertain
Event Type
Recorded
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1834
Event Type
Stored
Place
in situ
Event Place Uncertain
Date
1983